Thursday, April 12, 2007

About Discouragement

People often ask me if I ever get discouraged with this work. After all, girls are being trafficked faster than we can rescue them. And of the tens of thousands who are trapped in this nightmare, we can reach only a handful. Then from this handful, not all that we help are going to go on to live productive lives. That’s reality. There would be plenty room for discouragement if that’s all I focus on. But when I start to think like that, I look at some of the pictures of the girls. I see their smiles. I recall their laughter. And I marvel at how far they’ve come. I would like to help every trafficked person in the world. I can’t. But I will not let the limitations of my reach keep me from touching whatever lives that I can. Together, we can make a world of difference to somebody. Anything less is to be defeated by discouragement.