Thursday, June 21, 2007

A Picture Is Worth a Thousand Words


Some say a picture is worth a thousand words. Maybe so.
Some, when looking at this picture, probably only see three girls holding books. No big deal.

But when I look at this picture, I see something entirely different. I see hope. I see three formerly trafficked girls dressed in the uniforms of their new profession--a profession that brings them dignity, a profession that means freedom. I see three formerly trafficked girls studying English. Not everyone in their country gets that opportunity, but these girls do. Knowing even a little English opens so many more doors for them. And when I look at this picture, I don't just see three girls; I see dozens of people. I see these girls. I see the other girls coming through our shelter and waiting for their turn to learn the skills of independence that we teach in our aftercare program. And I see our donors. This photo would not be possible if it were not for our donors. And for them, the thousand words found in a single picture boil down to just one--thanks. Thanks. It's perhaps the best word that I can offer for what you do. And I know thanksgiving is felt in the hearts and spoken on the lips of each girl in this picture and so many more that you're helping. You're making a real difference.