Sunday, August 19, 2007

A Coffee Shop Epiphany

My wife went to one of those ubiquitous coffee shops to order a grande java-chip frappuccino decaf. It looked pretty good. The bill came to $3.85. While I was standing in line, I saw a one-pound bag of Guatemalan Antigua Coffee for $10.99. And that got me thinking.

I don’t drink coffee. And I have no problem with those who do. After all, I’m married to a frappuccino-drinker. But it dawned on me in the coffee shop that for a little less than the price of two pounds of coffee, someone could sponsor for a month a girl who has that has been rescued from human trafficking. That should get us thinking.

There is nothing wrong with enjoying our coffees. They’re a harmless and tasty indulgence. But let’s not forget the children. They’re worth the investment.